Welcome to Season 1 Episode 35 of the Your Church Matters podcast. In this week’s episode I addressed a third issue brought up by a listener question from Karl: “Why another church, especially when there are churches in the area that are searching for a pastor or do not have a permanent pastor?”
Great question! In fact it is such a great question that it is supercharged and loaded with at least 3 issues that I chose to address in 3 separate episodes. Here are the issues I have identified in the question and my response:
1. Why start new churches? – Episode 26 (July 2, 2015).
2. Issues for pastorless churches – Episode 31 (August 6, 2015)
3. Issues for churchless pastors – Today’s episode
Today’s issue is, admittedly, more of a corollary issue than one directly asked in the question. The fact of the matter is that there are many preachers who have responded to some sense of calling from God, who have prepared themselves through some educational process, and who find themselves without a congregation to pastor.
And with all these pastorless churches, it would seem that we could get the pastorless churches and the churchless pastors together for a match made in Heaven (pun intended). But that doesn’t always happen.
3 Kinds of Churchless Pastors
- The Not-Yet Pastor – waiting for the first pastorate.
- The In-Between Pastor – waiting for the next pastorate.
- The Comeback Pastor – waiting for the second wind pastorate
- I’ve submitted dozens of resumes, but can’t get an interview.
- I’ve can’t make it past the first interview.
- I’m too old, too young
- The churches that are contacting me have too many issues
Possibilities for while you wait:
- Keep active in ministry, both in church and out.
- Develop new ministry skills and expand your knowledge.
- Develop effective self-care habits.
- Develop skills that are marketable outside the “church” world. (see Episode 20 – Secular No More!)
- Get a clear picture of who you are.
- Don’t panic and don’t settle.
To comment on this episode or leave a question for a future episode:
1. Comment section below
2. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Voicemail: 817-929-0643
4. Direct tweet @drgerrylewis
*Special thanks to Keith Cooper (Guitar Music)