Welcome to Season 1 Episode 41 of the Your Church Matters podcast. In this episode I talked about some simple things you can do in the next few days to make your Sunday morning experience more “Guest Friendly.” These are not effortless, but the effort is minimal and the potential impact far exceeds the cost.
3 Simple Steps toward “Guest Friendliness”
- Define “Guest Friendly”
- It is different from “friendly”
- Think of it as “user friendly”
- Think of it as lowering the intimidation factor and removing barriers
A church that is friendly to guests is not the same thing as a church that is guest friendly. Click To Tweet
2. Stop using the word “Visitor”
- “Visitor” implies “outsider” who needs to be identified
- “Guest” is someone who is welcome and wanted who needs to be included
- Start with the spoken welcome
3. Design your bulletin/worship folder with the Guest in mind
- What do they absolutely need to know? (service times, contact information)
- What would be helpful to know? (coming events and opportunities, mission/vision statement)
- How easy on the eyes is the layout?
(Check out Dr. Thom Rainer’s recent podcast on the topic of church bulletins: 9 Things a Church Bulletin Must Have)
In next week’s podcast, I will continue this “Guest Friendly” theme with some practical ideas that may take more than 7 days, but are still fairly simple and have great impact potential.
To comment on this episode or leave a question for a future episode:
1. Comment section below
2. Email: email@example.com
3. Voicemail: 817-929-0643
4. Direct tweet @drgerrylewis
*Special thanks to Keith Cooper (Guitar Music)